Thanks to the ongoing pandemic, many of us are rocking longer locks than usual. While there are some benefits that come with longer manes, there’s one big drawback: tangles. Yup, the more strands grow, the more easily they develop knots. Running a comb or brush through that tangled mess is not a task we enjoy. So we went on a mission to find the best detangling products currently on offer.
We’re delighted to report that there are plenty of options out there. But we were surprised to learn that the best ones don’t just stop at unraveling knots. Some also double as heat protectants. Others really up the shine factor and banish frizz. There are even picks that prevent harmful UV rays from wreaking havoc on your locks.
pleasant discovery? There are tangle-tackling formulas for all types of hair. Whether you’re trying to keep your curls bouncy or your straight strands super sleek, there’s a product with your name on it.
Here are the top detangling products that’ll keep your hair healthy and knot-free.
- 1/10Oribe Run-Through Detangling Primer, $37 at DermStoreYou’ll definitely want to buy the larger size of this detangling primer. The lightweight conditioning formula actually seals hair cuticles to protect them from heat styling. Infused with amino acids and coconut oil, it adds moisture and separates strands for effortless combing. It even boosts shine.
- 2/10Hask Curl Care 5-In-1 Leave-In Spray, $7.99 at Ulta BeautyIf you’ve got curly locks, you know how important it is to have a great detangling product in your hair care arsenal. Enter this miracle product boasting a blend of coconut oil, organic argan oil and vitamin E to nourish and protect curls. You’ll also get up to 24 hours of frizz control.
- 3/10Drunk Elephant Wild Marula Tangle Spray, $25 at SephoraThis weightless leave-in mist not only detangles, it provides heat protection while restoring movement and shine. It’s all thanks to a combo of plant oils that conditions and a mix of quick-absorbing amino acids that improves manageability, body and bounce. Best of all? It doesn’t leave your hair feeling sticky or looking greasy.
- 4/10Odele Leave-In Detangling Tonic, $10.99 at TargetFortified with amino acids and plant proteins to promote hair health over time, this tonic is a real multitasker. It hydrates, detangles, adds shine and helps protect your strands against environmental damage and heat styling. Plus, the fragrance is 100 percent natural.
- 5/10Unite 7SECONDS Detangler, $29.50 at UniteGot seven seconds? Then you can get tangle-free hair. Unite’s leave-in detangler nourishes and fortifies locks. The formula also seals hair cuticles and protects strands from heat and UV rays. Simply spray four to six times throughout your hair. Then just comb through.
- 6/10R+Co PINSTRIPE Intense Detangling Spray, $19.20 at DermStoreR+Co’s detangling spray moisturizes strands while making them manageable. The lightweight formula features ginger root extract to tighten hair cuticles, acerola fruit extract to neutralize hard water and pro-vitamin B5 to build volume. It also boosts shine.
- 7/10DevaCurl No-Comb Detangling Spray Lightweight Curl Tamer, $20 at Ulta BeautyLooking for shiny, soft and frizz-free coils? Look no further. This conditioning leave-in detangler instantly untangles. Spray all over wet curls, then use your fingers to work the formula through any knots. The lemongrass fragrance is a refreshing pick-me-up.
- 8/10Drybar Prep Rally Prime & Prep Detangler, $24 at Macy’sLeave it to Drybar to offer up a way to banish knots and prep hair for heat styling. The lightweight detangler includes biotin to protect your locks against dryness while increasing elasticity. Throw in vitamins B and C to support hair flexibility, strength and texture plus sea berry oil to maintain moisture and you’ve got one great spray.
- 9/10Rahua Hydration Detangler + UV Barrier, $25.60 at DermStoreIf moisture and knot-free locks are what you’re after, this pick has you covered. Morete, rahua and sacha inchi oils soften and smooth frizz while hydrating and fortifying strands. It even defends against harmful UV rays. And the passion fruit and mango aroma is subtle yet intoxicating.
- 10/10Amika The Wizard Detangling Hair Primer, $25 at SephoraWhether your locks are coiled, wavy or super straight, this nutrient-packed primer detangles all types of hair. It actually reduces drying time, provides heat protection and enhances hair health. The formula is gentle enough for color-, Brazilian- and keratin-treated strands.